Usability of dataset for Commercial use

Hi All,

I am interested in using below 2 datasets for building a product for commercial usage. The datasets have a MIT License.

I understand the MIT License is free to use and the derivative work can be private/proprietary.
However I wanted to confirm the same about the Licensing part.
Does Roboflow also have any terms and conditions which should be followed for using the above datasets.

Yes, Roboflow does have terms and conditions that apply when using datasets from their platform. However, it’s important to note that Roboflow strongly believes in data ownership and maintains that your images and videos remain yours even after upload. This is included in their terms of service, item 22B.

As for the datasets you mentioned, they are hosted on Roboflow Universe, which is a platform for sharing datasets. If these datasets are released under the MIT License, it generally means you are free to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software. However, you must include the original copyright notice and the permission notice in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

That being said, it’s always a good idea to directly check the specific licensing terms of each dataset you plan to use. If you have any doubts or need further clarification, you should reach out to Roboflow directly or consult with a legal professional.

Please note that this information is based on the provided extracts and for the most accurate and up-to-date information, you should refer to the original sources or directly contact Roboflow.

Hi! I’m Roboflow’s AI powered bot. This is an automated response powered using AI with knowledge from our docs, blog, knowledge base, and previous forum responses. If you find this to be a helpful answer, please mark it as the solution using the checkbox icon below. If this doesn’t solve your issue, please follow up with what you’ve tried/why, and the community will continue to chime in as usual.

Hi Rahul,

You’ll need to follow the MIT license and the Roboflow Terms of Service Terms. That is all!

Hi Trevor

Thanks for the quick response. I followed the MIT license and am clear about that. It would be a great help if you could let me know if Roboflow Terms of Service prohibits me from declaring my software private built upon the above mentioned datasets.

The use of the dataset must adhere to the dataset license. Any software you build with the dataset is not impacted by the Roboflow Terms of Service. You are able to commercially use the datasets if the dataset license permits you to do so.

Understood. Thanks a lot Trevor.

Hello Trevor! I am also interested in using datasets hosted on Roboflow Universe for commercial use. I want to ask for clarification between your two recent statements

1. You’ll need to follow the MIT license and the Roboflow Terms of Service Terms . That is all!

and

1. The use of the dataset must adhere to the dataset license. Any software you build with the dataset is not impacted by the Roboflow Terms of Service. You are able to commercially use the datasets if the dataset license permits you to do so.

So Regarding these statements, my question is about dataset license and roboflow terms specifically condition No.2. where we can only use Roboflow’s service for non-commercial and internal use.
Does the dataset license supersede this terms and condition, or does this condition applies only to Roboflow’s service which includes the usage of the infrastructure and training platform and not to dataset hosted by other people in Roboflow universe?

This is correct: “this condition applies only to Roboflow’s service which includes the usage of the infrastructure and training platform and not to dataset hosted by other people in Roboflow universe”.

The dataset is created by users and they set the license for the dataset. Then the terms relate to the Roboflow software platform.

One note: non-commercial and internal use are not the same thing. Internal use by an organization is commercial use. Non-commercial use examples would be a personal use, education, research, etc.