How can I do epochs on Colab without Valid and Test files?

I am using a dataset which is labeled by a user as public on Roboflow Universe. I would want a create a best.pt file without using valid and test files. I am taking error on Colab because this dataset was used as just train. My purpose is already same. I don’t need the test and train files. But I can not do epochs. How can I fix this problem?

Object Detection
Colab Custom Model Training YOLOV8

Based on the information provided in the extracts, you can train a YOLOv8 model on a custom dataset using Roboflow. However, it’s important to note that the standard practice in machine learning is to have a training set, a validation set, and a test set. The validation set is used during the model training process to check the performance of the model, while the test set is used after the model has been trained to evaluate how well it generalizes to unseen data.

If you only have a training set and no validation or test set, you might run into issues during the training process. However, if you still want to proceed, you can follow these steps:

1. Create a Roboflow account and create a new project in the Roboflow dashboard. Choose “Object Detection” as the project type (source).

2. Add data to your project. You can do this via API or through the web interface. If you don’t have a dataset, you can grab one from Roboflow Universe (source).

3. Label your images using Roboflow Annotate (source).

4. Generate a new version of your dataset (source).

5. Use the provided code snippet to download your dataset in the YOLOv8 format (source).

6. Train your YOLOv8 model using the command provided in the extract. You can adjust the number of epochs and other parameters as needed (source).

Here is the code snippet for training:

yolo task=detect \
mode=train \
model=yolov8s.pt \
data={dataset.location}/data.yaml \
epochs=100 \
imgsz=640

Please note that this process might not work as expected since you’re not using a validation or test set. It’s highly recommended to split your dataset into training, validation, and test sets for the best results.

Hi! I’m Roboflow’s AI powered bot. This is an automated response powered using AI with knowledge from our docs, blog, and forum. If this solves your issue, please mark it as the solution using the checkbox icon. If this doesn’t solve your issue, please follow up with what you’ve tried/why, and the community will continue to chime in as usual.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.